Thursday 20 October 2011

Analysing a music video 1




As I was researching into older music videos to gain further knowledge and inspiration, I came across 'Subterranean Homesick Blues' by Bob Dylan, released in 1965 and of the genre of folk rock so it relates in terms to my chosen genre. Although its a very early video it is also very well known, and remembered, known and listed as one of the first modern promotional film clips, now called music videos.

Bob Dylan himself came up with and made the cue cards that are featured through out the video, which present to the audience the lyrics - however some are purposely mispelt or slightly changed. He stares into the camera whilst holding the cue cards, as they show in sync with the music, however he is in different locations and still has people around him creating scenes for the audience within medium and wide camera shots. The video is in black and white due to the time period it was made in, however I like the effect it gives off.

The signs personally made me focus on the music itself much more, because the lyrics where placed infront of me, I found myself looking at the lyrics taking in what was being said within the lyrics, along with the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment